This will be a new monthly feature where one of the Forward Disco artists will present their top vinyl selections for the month. For Charts 001, Chili Davis presents his dirty dozen for October. With a slew of deep house, dirty warehouse vibes, and some good ol’ disco for good measure, these EPs give a good feel for what Chili is digging these days. Expect to hear a few of these dropped at SOUP on Friday October 12 w/Pezzner at Sullivan Room!
A few words from Chili on his chart:
01. Mike Huckaby NEVER disappoints. Baseline 89 is straight 90s warehouse vibes. I cannot get enough of this tune. It takes me to a different time of NYC clubbing with each listen.
02. I hate to repeat myself, but Mr. Roy’s EP picks up right where Huckaby leaves off. 50/fifty is pure dirty NY house.
03. One of my favorite labels, Cabin Fever keeps things nice and sleazy with volume 27. This vinyl only label with their unnamed artists is always the goods.
04. Lemy Leopard is new to my radar, but after this I wont be passing him by! Voodoo drew me into the EP, but Black Panther Party is the standout.
05. Defected Records, yes THAT Defected Records (I had to do a double take myself!) with a slice of house music that is sure to move any dance floor with Flashmob’s Need In Me. Can Defected be back?
06. What can I say about Bicep that hasnt already been said? Well…not much. But you know what you are getting with Bicep – after $tripper, they drop the highly anticipated “Vision Of Love”. When you see “Limited to One Per Customer” and it sells out weekly, its generally the goods.
07. The Dead Rose Music Company consistently makes music that extends beyond the dancefloor. This is no exception. KRL remix is really doing it for me.
08. The Love Revolution are based out of my beloved Brooklyn, half by way of Boston, so its not TOTALLY perfect – but this EP is. Shane Linehan gets real deep, but its 766 Underground Traxx that is really doing damage for me.
09. Djebali is now on its fifth release and each one gets deeper and deeper. While I dig both tunes here, its the B Side tools that I cant wait to work into my sets!
10. The Nathaniel X Project is no stranger to any good deep house collection. All four tracks here are the bizness. The dub for Gotta Get Over is tops for me.
11. Remember when I questioned if Defected was back? Well they answer me here. Larse is always adding a deep or disco touch that I cant get enough of. His dub here is magical.
12. I couldn’t get away without sneaking this one in. I have had a crush on Neneh Cherry since the Buffalo Stance days (and I drunkenly told her so myself at the Funky Room in Pacha Ibiza in 2003) The Lindstrom & Prins Thomas remix of Cashback is sure to get some asses shaking!